Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Acorns I by Raymond Luczak

Acorns I

At Spruce and Oak Streets
they are sleeping.
Their knit caps have been pulled
smugly over their ears.
Their cheeks are a rose brown,
frozen numb under inches and
inches of calming snow.
But then they feel the
sudden pressure
of a boy’s snowmobile boots
across the layers above.
They awake, alarmed,
but remember that in spring
the garrulous soil will weaken,
adopt them as their own.
They dream of sprouting green,
taking a firmer stance
against the tiring seasons
--Raymond Luczak


This poem comes from the book This Way to the Acorns and is one of the sample poems posted on the author's site. I picked it because it talks about acorns wearing knit caps, which I must say is more that even I was hoping for when I started searching.

We went to visit Mike and Miriam and the boys this last weekend (which is why there were no posts for a few days). On Saturday afternoon, I found that I had used up all the yarn I brought for crocheting, and still had all of Sunday's conference to get through. Miriam and I went to JoAnn's and she picked out some yarn to make hats and scarves for the boys. I intended them to look like Peruvian knit hats, but since I didn't have a picture, and I tend to make things up as I go along while crocheting, they ended up looking more like acorn caps with ear flaps. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you. between the two of us, we got all three hats, and scarves finished before I had to leave, and you can see how cute they turned out. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the boys are so very cute to begin with...

7 comments:

  1. Cute! What fun. I've spent quite a few conferences crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending the pictures of the boys!
    That was so cool to find a poem about acorn hats! I also liked his "Indian summer"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:

    Thank you for your kind words about my poem "Acorns I."

    A friend alerted me to your blog, so I'm flattered that you chose to quote me.

    I'd love to learn how you came across my book.

    Thanks ever so much!

    Sincerely,

    Raymond Luczak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Raymond,
    I now live in Duluth. Maybe some day I will see you. I was one of your teachers / family friends in your younger days.

    Mary H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary:

    Wow! If you are who I think you are, please email me directly at RL@raymondluczak.com!

    I haven't heard from you in *years*!

    Sincerely,

    Raymond Luczak
    BOOKS * FILMS * PLAYS
    http://www.raymondluczak.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen ...

    You may be pleased to learn that THIS WAY TO THE ACORNS is finally back in print with a new tenth anniversary edition.

    Learn more at http://www.handtype.com/books/acorns

    Thanks ever so much!

    Best,

    Raymond Luczak
    BOOKS * FILMS * PLAYS
    http://www.raymondluczak.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen:

    You may be pleased to learn that THIS WAY TO THE ACORNS is finally back in print with a tenth anniversary edition!

    Learn more at http://www.handtype.com/books/acorns

    Thanks again for giving my work a look.

    Best,

    Raymond Luczak
    BOOKS * FILMS * PLAYS
    http://www.raymondluczak.com/

    ReplyDelete