Sunday, August 5, 2007

Just as the Sun by Jesse E Stay

Just as the Sun

Just as the sun
Which blesses us
During the day
With light and warmth--

And in the evening
Drops below the horizon
Leaving us
In the chill dark of night--

Is not extinguished!

But shines still
On distant shores
Blessing with its radiance
Other Souls
Beyond our view

So this dear one
Who warmed our hearts
And lighted our lives
Through the day--

Now gone
Beyond the limited horizon
Of our mortal view.

Leaving us
In dark sorrow
And chill loneliness--

Is not dead!

But sheds warmth and light
On dear souls gone before
--Jesse E. Stay


This is a poem I found among Grandpa's writings. I think it's a beautiful sentiment, and wonderful statement of his faith. I also like how he kept the metaphor simple, and didn't try to overextend it as people writing religious metaphors so often do.

5 comments:

  1. That is so lovely. But on sad days when I miss my mom so much, I get a little, no a lot, jealous that she is shedding her warmth and light on those others who have departed. Tell your grampa that I loved his poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very good. I was surprised to find it was by someone I knew.
    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was fantastic! Where are grandpa's writings that you found it in? Are they online or just at his house?
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa got a new scanner a few months ago and asked me to help him scan some things. This was one of the pages. I believe you can find out more about it in his personal history. Most of the other things I was scanning that day I recognized from the book. I'd look it up for you, but I can't seem to find my copy (if I ever had one on CD)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked Grandpa about it, and he said he wrote it for the funeral of somebody in his ward years ago, and has used it at other funerals since.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete