Friday, August 3, 2007

Black Jack Davy by Anonymous

Black Jack Davey


Black Jack Davey come a-riden' on back,
A-whistlin' loud and merry.
Made the woods around him ring,
And he charmed the heart of a lady,
Charmed the heart of a lady.

"How old are you, my pretty little miss,
How old are you, my honey"
She answered to him with a lovin' smile
"I'll be sixteen come Sunday,
Be sixteen come Sunday."

"Come and go with me, my pretty little miss,
Come and go with me, my honey,
Take you where the grass grows green,
You never will want for money
You never will want for money

"Pull off, pull off them high-heeled shoes
All made of Spanish leather.
Get behind me on my horse
And we'll ride off together,
We'll both go off together."

Well, she pulled off them high-heeled shoes
Made of Spanish leather.
Got behind him on his horse
And they rode off together.
They rode off together.

At night the boss came home
Inquiring about this lady.
The servant spoke before she thought,
"She's been with Black Jack Dave,
Rode off with Black Jack Davey."

"Well, saddle for me my coal black stud,
He's speedier than the gray.
I rode all day and I'll ride all night,
And I'll overtake my lady.
I'll bring back my lady."

Well, he rode all night till the broad daylight,
Till he came to a river ragin',
And there he spied his darlin' bride
In the arms of Black Jack Davey.
Wrapped up with Black Jack Davey.

"Pull off, pull off them long blue gloves
All made of the finest leather.
Give to me your lily-white hand
And we'll both go home together.
We'll both go home together."

Well, she pulled off them long blue gloves
All made of the finest leather.
Gave to him her lily-white hand
And said good-bye forever.
Bid farewell forever.

"Would you forsake your house and home,
Would you forsake your baby?
Would you forsake your husband, too,
To go with Black Jack Davey.
Rode off with Black Jack Davey?"

"Well, I'll forsake my house and home,
And I'll forsake my baby.
I'll forsake my husband, too,
For the love of Black Jack Davey.
Ride off with Black Jack Davey."

"Last night I slept in a feather bed
Between my husband and baby.
Tonight I lay on the river banks
In the arms of Black Jack Davey,
Love my Black Jack Davey."


Johnie Faa

The gypsies came to our good lord's gate
And oh but they sang bonnie!
They sang sae sweet and sae very complete
That down came the fair lady.

And she came tripping doun the stair,
And a' her maids before her;
As soon as they saw her weel-far'd face,
They cast the glamer o'er her.

O come with me, says Johnie Faa,
O come with me, my dearie;
For I vow and I swear by the hilt of my sword,
That your lord shall nae mair come near ye.

Then she gied them the beer and the wine,
And they gied her the ginger;
But she gied them a far better thing,
The goud ring aff her finger.

Gae take frae me this yay mantle,
And bring to me a plaidie;
For if kith and kin, and a' had sworn,
I'll follow the gypsy laddie.

Yestreen I lay in a weel-made bed,
Wi' my good lord beside me;
But this night I'll lye 'neath moon and stars,
Wi' an ash and an oak fornent me!

And when our lord came hame at e'en,
And spier'd for his fair lady,
The tane she cry'd, and the other reply'd,
She's awa' wi' the gypsy laddie!

Gae saddle to me the black black steed,
Gae saddle and make him ready;
Before that I either eat or sleep,
I'll gae seek my fair lady.

And we were fifteen weel-made men,
Altho' we were na bonny;
And we were a' put down but ane,
For a fair young wanton lady.


Wraggle Taggle Gipsies

There were three gipsies a-come to my door,
And downstairs ran this a-lady, O!
One sang high and another sang low
And the other sang bonny, bonny Biscay, O!

Then she pull'd off her silk finish'd gown
And put on hose of leather, O!
The ragged, ragged rags about our door
She's gone with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

It was late last night, when my lord came home,
Enquiring for his a-lady, O!
The servants said, on ev'ry hand:
She's gone with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

O, saddle to me my milk-white steed,
Go and fetch me my pony, O!
That I may ride and seek my bride,
Who is gone with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

O he rode high and he rode low,
He rode through woods and copses too,
Until he came to an open field,
And there he espied his a-lady, O!

What makes you leave your house and land?
What makes you leave your money, O?
What makes you leave your new wedded lord,
To go with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O?

What care I for my house and my land?
What care I for my money, O?
What care I for my new wedded lord?
I'm off with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

Last night you slept on a goose-feather bed,
With the sheet turned down so bravely, O!
And tonight you'll sleep in a cold open field,
Along with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

What care I for a goose-feather bed,
With the sheet turned down so bravely, O?
For tonight I'll sleep in a cold open field,
Along with the wraggle taggle gipsies, O!

-Anonymous

OK this is an especially long post because I've been taking an especially long break. I was overwhelmed with moving, unpacking, taking a trip, trying to get the new house put together, having Mom, Dad, and Steve come to help, ad generally with feeling queasy ALL THE TIME with morning sickness. Now that I'm past that stage, I think I have the energy to do this again for a while (at least until I get overwhelmed again).

These three poems are all the same story that has been retold different ways. They're all very old, and are often sung as folk songs. Peter and I were watching a documentary about a family of folk singers, and this was one of the songs they sang. I have a couple different versions in my music collection.

The pictures, for those those that don't recognize them, are from the game Ultima 6. I always thought it was funny how most people would wait until you asked their name, and then say something boring like, "I'm called Terri," but every time you talk to Zoltan, he enthusiastically introduces himself with, "Huzzah! I am Zoltan, king of the gypsies!" or later, "Huzzah! I am still Zoltan, king of the gypsies!" Thanks to Mike for helping me find a way to get a screenshot (XP doesn't support taking screenshots from DOS -- go figure!)

1 comment:

  1. We've got two versions that I can think of (Steeleye Span and the Irish Descendants).

    That reminds me of this online comic called "Zookman" (about a kid who grows up to play the bouzouki), and one frame that had a sign in front of a house saying "no jolly beggarmen or raggle taggle gypsies."

    Ah! Found it. http://www.miketackett.com/zookman/zook2.html

    ReplyDelete